CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Tools and Equipment

Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

View user823's Photo Album My Photos
Default problem with Dewalt 18V hammer drill

Anyone have a problem like this with yours? I opened the chuck all the way, it's stuck all the open. Tried everything, wd40, holding it with channel locks, what now? it's STUCK ! I just got this one too! Damn
user823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
Anyone have a problem like this with yours? I opened the chuck all the way, it's stuck all the open. Tried everything, wd40, holding it with channel locks, what now? it's STUCK ! I just got this one too! Damn
There should be a tension screw inside the chuck, I don't remember if it is a phillips or allen head, that you can loosen to free up the chuck.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
I aint CPV see in it?

View ROCKSTARPLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

Have had the same thing happen to my dewalt hammer drill many times. Gears stripped out in the damn thing after about 2 months. No auger bits of any type used. Just paddle bits, and masonary bits. I am through with dewalts tools altogether.
ROCKSTARPLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

View user4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTARPLUMBER View Post
Have had the same thing happen to my dewalt hammer drill many times. Gears stripped out in the damn thing after about 2 months. No auger bits of any type used. Just paddle bits, and masonary bits. I am through with dewalts tools altogether.
All of my Dewalt drills hit the trash heap a long time ago, both corded and cordless.
user4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user4 For This Useful Post:
ToUtahNow (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
All of my Dewalt drills hit the trash heap a long time ago, both corded and cordless.
I did some research. This is the newer self tightening chuck. It's not suppose to come off the drill without a tool? I took mine off! There are no set screws on this chuck. This is the second one in three months, it's the DC925, I'm done with this garbage. I'm heading back out to the garage for one last attempt at it with a HAMMER to see if I can loosen up the chuck. If not it's trash. New chuck is 50 plus bucks, screw them.
SO..WHAT MAKE IS THE BEST FOR A CORDLESS HAMMER DRILL? Thanks!

Ok, so I went out to the garage and put the chuck in the vise and smacked it hard a few times with a hammer. Guess what? It fricken worked! It's free and working with a few dents in the chuck. I know it won't last but what the heck, I needed it for tomorrow! Still want your opinion on a better tool, thanks.

Last edited by user823; 04-30-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Old 04-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
master of disaster

View leak1's Photo Album My Photos

ive always used milwalkee hammer drills , have had good luck with them & the batteries are cheaper then dewalt. hey ranger use a sledge hammer!!! KA-WAM!!
leak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

View Protech's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Protech

I know what's wrong. There are some tools out there that had cheap parts put in them.
Just look on the label for the following code : D

Followed by : E-W-A-L-T

If you are the unfortunate owner of one of these tools your only recourse is to purchase a quality tool such as Milwaukee

The yellow tools are cheaper than even ryobi. Id say they are in the same class as black and decker.
Protech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Protech For This Useful Post:
ROCKSTARPLUMBER (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
new nickname:Quaker State

View Plasticman's Photo Album My Photos

Same thing happened to mine. I could not get my inside cutter out of the chuck. I used a pipe wrench and a pair of channel locks and it would not budge. Finally I beat hell out of it with a hammer and got my bit back. What the hell, drill was already fried. Saved my inside cutter.
So like an idiot, I go to Slowes and pay 199.99 for another one. Didn't know till weeks later that it didn't have hammer drill feature like my broke one. And all that money down the drain.
Now this one won't even grasp a screwdriver bit strong enough to hold.
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leak1 View Post
ive always used milwalkee hammer drills , have had good luck with them & the batteries are cheaper then dewalt. hey ranger use a sledge hammer!!! KA-WAM!!
Believe me I gave it a couple of good wacks alright and it worked. I shouldn't have to repair my hammer drill with a fricken HAMMER!!!!
Ok, so it sounds like Milwaukee is the way to go. I already bought their new HakZall, love it love it love it. Use it all the time.
I still have the same corded Milwaukee sawzall from 1990 and it's still running fine! I even had to splice the cord back together with wire nuts and black tape about 5 years ago because I dropped a piece of 2" galvanized from the basement ceiling and it hit the cord perfect, sparks everywhere! AND... after the hack repair job on the cord it's STILL running. I also have my original Hole Hawg too. I should have known better, Dewalt is OUT THE DOOR.
The Following User Says Thank You to user823 For This Useful Post:
Plasticman (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
master of disaster

View leak1's Photo Album My Photos

thata-boy iron!
leak1 is offline   Reply With Quote